Fun Fit Club
Our children are our future—and understanding and supporting their natural yearning for physical activity will help lead them to a lifetime of happy and healthy living. If we joyfully teach them how to include healthy exercise from the early stages of their development, we will be giving our children a gift that will endure throughout their lives.
Academy for Little Learners is proud to play a part in the growth and development of the children we care for. Physical fitness and understanding the benefits of exercise are becoming increasingly more necessary in the early learning years. Guiding children towards good habits, such as exercise and eating right, will benefit them greatly in their future careers in school and beyond. Our Fun Fit Club program was designed to instill those important values in the children. Our Fun Fit Club Program is composed of: Yoga, Dance, Gymnastics, Sports, Obstacle Courses, Games and more! Not only do we take advantage of the wide outdoor play area, the children also have access to a 3000 square foot room located in our basement for daily physical activity.
Exercise Improves Physical Health
Long-term health benefits of exercise are:
- A stronger immune system! The body’s ability to fight disease is improved. Children are less prone to colds, allergies, and diseases, including cancer.
- A reduction of type 2 diabetes by increasing insulin sensitivity and improving carbohydrate metabolism.
- A lower blood pressure and an improvement of the child’s cholesterol profile.
- A strengthening of the entire cardiovascular system, including the heart and lungs. The heart develops a higher “pump-activity” while the child’s heart and lungs are strengthened, supporting the prevention of heart disease.
- Children are less likely to become overweight and will have better control of their body fat. Overweight children are able to reduce their body weight and body fat due to the physiological effect of burning fat while exercising.
- Children develop stronger bone structure and muscle structure.
Active children enjoy additional health benefits, because:
- Exercise increases the blood flow to all body tissues, including the brain. Greater blood flow transports more oxygen and nutrients to the body’s cells.
- Active children improve their body’s ability to absorb oxygen through aerobic exercise. Due to the increased oxygen in their body’s cells they feel more energized. More oxygen translates into more energy!
- Increased blood flow promotes the body’s transportation of the byproducts of metabolism and toxins back from the cells for elimination, recycling, or further use elsewhere. Children who exercise feel fitter and more energized because of their body’s ability to detoxify.
- Active children breathe better and sweat more. Breathing and sweating are great ways to detoxify the body and help it keep itself “clean.”
- Children increase their over-all fitness through exercise(1).
Exercise Improves Mental Health
- Exercise enhances the brain’s metabolism. Studies show that active children have improved memory as a result of better brain function!
- Moderate, fun-oriented exercise literally burns off excess harmful hormones and, at the same time, increases the release of beneficial ones. One of the beneficial hormones acts as neurotransmitter for establishing new memories.
- Active children have the ability to concentrate much better, even at the end of a long school day.
- Studies report that exercise decreases anxiety, reduces depression, and improves mood and outlook in children. In addition, their quality of sleep is improved.
Perhaps most importantly, physical activity develops children’s self-esteem and confidence. Their ability to overcome difficult situations improves and they simply enjoy a better, sunnier outlook on life.